Sunday, January 13, 2008

Family Time

I've been playing with my Visual DNA and having so much fun this morning. While selecting time with my family as what I would like to be doing right now, I am reminded of yesterday. Yesterday we had a good deal of family time, which has been sorely needed. I decided that we would all go on a walk. The children were thrilled, Robert less so but he was game. It took us about half an hour to get out of the house despite the fact that my children are all over four. There were debates on: where to find shoes (despite the fact that they each have about 4 pairs); if Rhys could bring his skateboard (mind you, we were planning for a family walk not park outing); if Carbon could come and if she came, who would get to walk her; if each of us had to wear a coat (it is January and even in Western Oregon, while there is no snow, it is cold). On and on and on it went. Finally, when everyone was dressed to go out, I just started walking out the door assuming that they would follow. Inevitably someone needed the keys to get back in (Quinn decided he did in fact need a coat) but at least we were, at last, on the road. As the front gate closed, our yard is fully chain-link fenced, I felt the first drop. Of course, what else could I expect? It is Oregon in January. It was raining (misting might be more accurate).

We trudged on. Unexpectedly Grandma drove by and, a quintessential small town characteristic, we stood in the middle of the street chatting with Grandma. She left to go grocery shopping and on we walked. The whining was endless: I want to go to someone's house; Who are we going to visit?; Are we going home?; Can we go home?; Do we have to go home?; Can we play at the park?; I want to walk Carbon; Wait up for me! On and on and on it went. Finally, about half way through the kids start getting into the walk and the rain stopped. Robert gave Rhys Carbon's leash and told him to run her to the end of the block. If one runs, all three run. Off they went and I got a moment to walk, arm in arm, with my love watching my three children and our dog. Bliss.

We decided to extend the walk by walking through the park instead of heading home. A block later, the rain started again. The kids didn't hear our repeated statements that we were merely walking through the park. Lulu climbed on the play structure -- we warned her she'd have to stay in wet pants for the rest of the day and happily, she climbed back down instead of sliding down into a puddle. Quinn went running around to the far end of the park and then had to play catch up to get back to us. Rhys wandered a bit with Carbon but was quick to come back to our side. We made it home, slightly wet, but happy to be home. We ended the day with a movie (A Christmas Story which, IMHO, is more of a boy movie than a girl movie), popcorn and dinner in the living room with the TV off. Rhys tied a fly on his own, Lulu snuggled with me and Quinn sat with his dad.

Moments has become one of my favorite words. I find that my life is moments, at least the good times. I haven't been able to see that the bad times are only moments too but I'm optimistic that one day I will make that discovery. In these brilliant moments, the moments of contentment, comfort and love with my family, I find such joy and peace and happiness. It is moments like this that the possibilities of Quinn and Lulu first emerged. It is moments like this that I want to be married and would do it all again. It is moments like this that I want nothing more than for the outside world to disappear and for me to continue snuggled warm with my family ad infinitum.

No comments: