Friday, August 14, 2009

A Word on Politics

I normally keep to myself about my political beliefs. Oh sure, my nearest and dearest have heard my monologues from time to time (read: frequently) but I typically keep quiet when in public or around others who don’t share my viewpoint so as to keep friends and keep the peace.

But, this is my blog, damn it, and I’ll say what I want.

I’m conservative. Shocking I’m sure. I try and avoid labels; I’m registered undeclared and usually have anxiety attacks when I think of calling myself Democrat or Republican. But I am, overall, conservative.

On most issues I vacillate around in the middle and take a great deal of time to make my mind up. If I’m not required to vote on the issue, I may never make my mind up. I am too sympathetic to both sides of the argument and agree that generally both sides have valid points; how then do I discount one and side with the other?

Even on this last presidential election (should that be capitalized?), I found myself going back and forth, back and forth, unsure where to hang my hat. I finally made a decision not based on the candidates themselves or on any of the issues and solutions they were proposing but on a balance of power; Democrats would control the Congress, then I would vote for a Republic Executive Branch and thus hope that any decisions actually made and passed would have the approval of both parties.

Things just didn’t turn out that way.

Obama won. I was excited about the fact that we now have our first African-American President. How could I not be? It’s a huge advance from where we were as a society 50 years ago. And I was cautiously optimistic about this new administration with its matching Congressional shoes. Maybe good things would be done….

That was about six months ago and I must say that I’m not impressed. I’m concerned about the amount of money that the Federal government is spending; where are all these billions and trillions of dollars coming from? Do I want to know? What are we passing on to our children? A bankrupt future? I was surprised to see Congress and the President pass these huge stimulation and bailout plans. I realize that the economy had tanked (believe me, I’ve been trying to sell my house – I feel the pain) and everyone was furiously trying to come up with an idea to keep everything from slipping into a depression (I’m in no hurry to relive the 1930’s). But it seems so counterintuitive to me to get out of a financial crisis by spending money you don’t have.

But my biggest frustration is the proposed health care plan. I’ve never been a supporter off a national health care plan (I’ve never met a Canadian who really liked it and I wonder if my mother would have gotten the health care she did if medical care had been nationalized at the time) but I’m also frustrated by the Democrats willingness to push this new plan through with or without Republican support. Before the Revolution from England, the Continental Congress used a general majority rule as we currently do. But for the decision to revolt and declare our independence, a unanimous vote was required. I’m not thinking that we need a unanimous vote to approve the new healthcare plan but this is a monumental change to the way our government works and as such shouldn't it require more than a simple majority vote? Shouldn’t this plan be examined and brainstormed with all possibilities exhausted and examined before the decision is made? It seems to be happening so quickly with such little thought and respect of the opposition, realizing that the opposition represents real people who support those senators.

And again I wonder, where will all this money come from? From my understanding, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) nationalizing health care will not change the price of medical but will simply shift who is picking up the tab. Health care is expensive. How can we as a nation really afford to give top notch care to every single individual in the country? Will the aged be cared for as well? What about the desperately sick? Obama has also promised, both while campaigning and even currently, that insuring the currently uninsured will be paid for without raising taxes on 95% of Americans. Really? I'm thinking that taxing only 5% of Americans won't be enough to pay the tab. Which then makes me worry about how much taxes will be raised on businesses. As a small business owner, I'm concerned on how much we'll be asked to pay in taxes and if our business can survive the increases?

I have so many questions and none of them seem to be getting addressed. I’m not sure where to ask these questions to get the answers. I also believe that none of this is insurmountable but it means working together and I have felt during the last administration, and in the current one, a rendering of the American identity. Do we even have one anymore? Do we have anything that holds us as a nation together in one cohesive unit? That’s my greatest worry because if we continue to turn on each other like rabid dogs, all we’ll get is a continued spread of the disease and a continued descent into madness.

Can you see why I generally don’t discuss politics?

5 comments:

Shelby said...

M - No matter if I agree or disagree with you, I really enjoyed reading that. I share some of your concerns. You stated things very well...nicely done.

Shelby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelby said...

my comment posted twice...dunno how, but it did. so, I deleted it.

M said...

Thanks Shelby. It's because there's no word verification so if you press publish more than once, it does what you ask. ;)

Megan O. said...

Really well said. You're just asking legitimate questions that deserve to be answered.