Monday, March 16, 2009

What to Say

Recently, while loading in the van to go somewhere, Lulu hit Quinn. I don't remember the reason or where she hurt him, but I know she whapped him a good one.

I spoke to her, sternly, and then told her to apologize.

"I'm sorry Quinn," she said in her sweet little girl voice.

Silence prevailed.

I looked in the rear view mirror at Quinn, "Well Quinn, aren't you going to respond?"

He looked straight ahead, not quite at me and said, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."

"What?" I asked.

"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. It's what you say when you don't quite know what to say."

He said it with a bland face and then looked out the window.

I drove and stared straight ahead, muffling my laugh, with no idea what to say in return.

How could I fault him when he was so clearly right?

5 comments:

Maryann said...

That's a good response I think! I will use that next time I want to say a naughty word, or am at a loss for words! i love those moments when the laughter has to be held back!

Karen said...

I totally have to use that! What a great way to break up the tension....even if that's not what he meant to do.

M said...

I just know that the next time I'm supposed to apologize or do something that I don't really want to, I'll just say, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." As with me, it throw them so off base that I'll get away without doing what I don't want to.

So there.

Alexa said...

Precious and perfect!

Amy Dimock said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed for about 10 minutes on that one. I even had the laughing tears. What a cutie!