Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Sunshine

I have been far too gloomy.

Today the sun is shining, trees are in blossom, my generic Zyrtec is working wonderfully, my children are playing at their cousins and my house is sparkling clean and I feel like dancing! And I have. Danced. Twirled. Sang. Played my piano.

Life is good.

But as I'm sitting here, body full of endorphins, I'm reminded of all the wonderful things I've seen and experienced of late that seem to get covered up by my stress.

A week ago, I was walking to my car from Safeway and noticed a man, not a Safeway employee, just a regular Joe, pushing about 10 carts from the lot into the store. How kind is that?

Yesterday I took my children to the library. As we were entering, Rhys noticed a man exiting with a walker. Rhys thoughtfully held the door for him. I didn't even notice the guy and wouldn't have remembered my social niceties until it was too late, but my 10 year old caught it all and acted kindly. I was so pleased.

I turned on my music player today, set it on random and my favorite *favorite* songs came up right away. Love that.

This last weekend I was completely melting down under the weight of single-parenthood. Sunday afternoon, Jennifer took my kids just after church and kept them until bedtime and even sent some leftover dinner home with me. Monday night my father-in-law took the boys overnight and then took them fishing the next morning. Wednesday Kristie had both boys spend the night at her house and last night, Julie, my sister-in-law, had all three over and they've still yet to return. Yesterday I got a phone call from Lee and Sylvia wanting to take my children out to a movie. I HAD TO TURN THEM DOWN!!! because my children were already engaged elsewhere.

I still need to learn how to cope with having all three children but wow! God is good. I was at the end of my rope and offer after offer came rolling in. I am feeling overwhelmed at the care of God and my friends and family.

And really, I'm posting this for myself more than anything else; I need something to read the next time I feel myself falling apart to remind myself that goodness often springs up in the middle of a desert.

4 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

A good reminder to all of us to remember to offer help to people going it alone with kids!

M said...

I think one of the hardest parts, for me, is asking for help. If my three are driving me nuts, why would I want to send them to someone with 6?! But Sat. AM's are always good - they can watch cartoons until the cows come home and I'll enjoy the relative peace.

Karen said...

thanks so much for visiting my blog. Come on by anytime!

Maryann said...

Just wanted to tell you that I truly love you! You are an inspiration to me!