Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Which Great Philosopher Are You?

A friend of mine took the above mentioned quiz on Facebook. His answer was a dismal, "Kant." Blech. But I found the whole idea so entertaining that I couldn't wait to take it myself.

I thoughtfully read through all the questions (I think someone had a great deal of fun writing this quiz) and was thoroughly pleased with the results:

Søren Aabye Kierkegaard
Søren Aabye Kierkegaard (5 May 1813 – 11 November 1855) was a prolific 19th century Danish philosopher and theologian. Kierkegaard strongly criticized both the Hegelianism of his time, and what he saw as the empty formalities of the Danish church. Much of his work deals with religious themes such as faith in God, the institution of the Christian Church, Christian ethics and theology, and the emotions and feelings of individuals when faced with life choices. His early work was written under various pseudonyms who present their own distinctive viewpoints in a complex dialogue. Kierkegaard left the task of discovering the meaning of his works to the reader, because "the task must be made difficult, for only the difficult inspires the noble-hearted". Scholars have interpreted Kierkegaard variously as an existentialist, neo-orthodoxist, postmodernist, humanist, and as an individualist. Crossing the boundaries of philosophy, theology, psychology, and literature, he is an influential figure in contemporary thought.

I loved Kierkegaard in college. Perhaps it's the slash throught O in Soren - so sexy. Perhaps it's his anti-Hegelianism (in my mind, I burned the Phenomenology of Spirit over and over again and laughed with sadistic pleasure). Perhaps it's the fact that he talked about God as it was something intelligent to talk about and not just greater than anything which we can conceive.

This test was the bright spot in my day and I just had to share.

My favorite question and possible answer on this whole 8 - 10 question quiz? "Is there a God?" "Yes and he is probably quite brilliant and German." After reading Hegel and Nietzsche and Kant, that was my suspicion as well.

4 comments:

Alexa said...

Love it, love it! I also love the new look on your blog. So cool!! I love Kierkegaard, too, but, really, I have such a never ending crush on Pascal. *Sigh* And a special place in my heart for Hegel - master and servant and overcoming the other!

Alexa said...

Ok - dying to know how you did your blog template! You are so rockin' the blogger.

M said...

Thank you! Thank you Lex. I love your comments. Yes, Pascal is my favorite (hence my senior paper) but I don't know if he was an option and I was just so happy not to get Kant or Hegel. I know you love Hegel and truth be told, I do till think about the one and the other but when I think of Hegel I remember such angst and tears of frustration that it's hard to embrace his "brilliance."

The template, which I love too, came from LeeLou Blogs - there's a button a bit further down on the right hand side of my blog. I had to monkey with a bit (yea me!) to get the three columns but she has some really adorable templates, my favorites so far.

susette said...

I'm coming over from Mormon Mommy Blogs, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight-midnight. I used to be ahead but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere, and it's a tight race now. I would so much appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥♥