Saturday, May 23, 2009

Je Suis Madame Mystérieuse....

Now that the morbidity is out of the way, on to the good news!

Robert is pretty amazing; he has supernatural powers of deduction. For Christmas a few years ago, I walked up to him and said, "I know what your parents are getting you for Christmas." He glanced up and said, "A gun safe." Not too impressive, he had guns, Rhys was almost 1, time to make sure everything is locked up.

I, however, did not want to be outdone. "Well I know what else they're getting you for Christmas...."

Seriously. He looked at me, thought for a moment and said, "Sweatpants."

He was dead on.

Seriously.

I mean, are the two even related? Do people normally buy sweatpants and a gun safe? Do stores have promotions, "Buy a gun safe, get a free set of sweats!" Is it a guy thing - guns and sweats?

I. don't. know.

I just know he nailed it and he's been doing the same thing for the last 9 years.

This year, however, I decided to surprise him. In a big way.

Robert visited at the beginning of May (he had a conference in Seattle and extended the trip south a few miles). It was fabulous and short and we talked about me flying up in June, by myself, to visit, see all the work being done and just be with him.

I decided that I should go, but I had an extra trick up my sleeve.

Rob's birthday was May 18th (and, coincidentally, so is my father's and yes, I do know what Freud would say about that). Robert puts a lot in store by birthdays and by our being together on said days. And I love to plot surprises (imagine my disappointment over the last several years).

So, I bought tickets to fly north for the weekend but told him (and everyone else in Alaska - sorry Mia) that I was coming in June. A friend picked me up from the airport and at 10:30 ADT, I was blessed to see my husband, slack jawed, wide-eyed saying something along the lines of "What.....?"

Seriously.

It was amazing. All that I could of dreamed of. (The weekend was really fun too.)

In hindsight, Robert realized he should have seen it coming a mile away from all the clues and hints I dropped but he's been so distracted by work and a ruptured ear drum that he didn't.

Me, I don't care what the cause or how it happened, I'm just glad that no only did I get to spend time with him,but that I surprised him. I'll be surprised if I can ever do that again, as long as we both shall live.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sweet surprise! You must have had a great weekend together.

M said...

We did. Maybe too good. We started wondering, "Why do we have children?"