Thursday, October 23, 2008

Political Ramblings

I thought I had decided whom to vote for in the presidential elections. I looked at my ballot yesterday (Oregon uses a mail-in ballot system for all registered voters) and I was stymied. Happily, I have the measures figured out (those tend to be easier than the candidates) and a few other offices. Some positions have helped in either having NO candidates to chose from (damn - I missed my opportunity! I could have been on the ballot! - Really that was my first thought on seeing the words "No Candidate Filed" for the Soil & Water Conservation Director. My next thought was, "What the heck do I know about soil and water conservation?" So I guess it's a good thing I didn't run.) or by only having one candidate as I make it point not to vote for those running unopposed unless I strongly support them. I figure they're winning by default anyway, so what does it matter?

The offices for President and VP have an amazing array of candidates (6) here in Oregon. Ralph Nader is now in the Peace party (did the Green party kick him out?), whatever that is, with Cynthia McKinney for the Pacific Green party, Bob Barr for the Libertarian party and Chuck Baldwin for the Constitution party (who is, by the way, endorsed by Republican Ron Paul - a little know Republican candidate for President but who had more delegate votes than Giuliani). And then, of course, Obama and McCain. It looks so plain and simple on paper, so much less colorful and strident than the conventions and debates but I'm still at a loss.

I don't know, must be the "maverick" in me but whom I want to vote for changes depending on whomever I'm around. At Time Out for Women (a conference for LDS women) the air was palpable with McCain support. I wanted to holler out, "OBAMA!!!"

At home, the yards are full of Obama/Biden signs. One home has the Obama logo painted onto their white picket fence. I want to buy the biggest McCain/Palin sign and post it in my yard. Heck, maybe I should just paint it on the roof.

I guess my problem is at the end of the day, I don't hear much in what either of them say beyond campaign rhetoric. They each try to convince me that they didn't make this mistake but their opponent sure did and how they will each be the one to save the US from our current crises but the other one will only make it worse.

Is it disrespectful to just hang my ballot on a wall and throw a dart? Yes? Damn.

I made a comment to Julie, my SIL, that I was wishing for the good ol' days when elections just seemed to much more cut and dried and simple. The other half of that is that I don't think they had nearly the amount of information available for perusal as we do. Is there such a thing as too much information? (Clearly, not in some of my previous posts.)

Overall, though, I am really tired of all the finger pointing (you know the old adage about where those other four are pointing...). Most of the campaign ads I see are all about how terrible their opponent is and few make any real statements about the candidate himself. I also get tired of verbose speaking that leaves the question essentially unanswered. I started to watch the debates but after half an hour of not answering the questions directly, I got a little bored with it and decided they weren't helping my decision making process at all.

So I'm stuck.

A friend mentioned that she was voting for McCain because she felt strongly against "partial birth abortions" which Obama has supported. I agree with her on that but I would be surprised if McCain actually did anything to make partial birth abortions illegal during his tenure. So should that really be the basis for my vote?

And there's this whole bailout thing - I didn't want it to happen but I concede that it may just have to happen to protect the economy but given that it has to happen, do we really have to pile pork on top of that? Seriously? I mean I love ham but has Congress been dealing so much with billions and trillions of dollars that a few hundred million become just pocket change? And I know Congress is not the President, but I just get so sick of Washington that I'm ready to strap on a few of those arms I have the right to bear and stage a major coup!

Exept I abhor guns and can't stand the thought of killing someone. Minor conflict.

I told you this was ramblings....at least you were forewarned.

That ballot-on-the-wall-dart thing is sounding better and better.

3 comments:

Carrie and Megan said...

You need to decide and then you don't even have to worry about it at all. My ballot is sign, sealed and delivered and any campaign mailers, ads, signs--I simply ignore because I have already voted and there is nothing else I can do. I am a little annoyed living in Oregon which is not seen as a state that will even matter in the election since so I don't even feel that my presidential vote will even matter. My SIL lived in Ohio last time and she said it was a total zoo!! That sounds much more exciting than being in a state where the candidates don't even bother to come!! Okay, how was that for rambling. Love you. Hope you are feeling better.

David said...

Unfortunately, it appears that many support Obama based on what they believe he will do as president based on what he says in speeches and in his books. It would be wiser for them to take a look at what he has done in the past to better predict what he will likely do in the future.

The complete voting records of both of the candidates can be found in various places, but a consolidated source is:
http://www.votesmart.org/index.htm

At that site there is also a section that lists the ratings given to the candidates by various special interest groups. These ratings are a good indicator of where the candidate stands on issues that are important to each of us as voters.

Here are a few of the ratings. You can check out each special interest group to see what they stand for, or go to the site and see where both have candidates have taken their stands in the past.

This is just a small sample of the listings at votesmart.org. Remember, these ratings are given by the organization itself.


* NARAL Pro-Choice America (2007)
Obama 100%
McCain 0%

* Planned Parenthood (2006)
Obama 100%
McCain 0%

* National Right To Life (2005-2006)
Obama 0%
McCain 75%

* Family Research Council (2007)
Obama 0%
McCain 44%

* National Organization for Women (2005-2006)
Obama 91%
McCain 13%

* Secular Coalition (2006)
Obama 90%
McCain 20%

* ACLU (2007)
Obama 80%
McCain 50%

* Americans for Tax Reform (2007)
Obama 5%
McCain 70%

* Citizens Against Government Waste (2007)
Obama 10%
McCain 100%

* Conservative Index - John Birch Society (2007)
Obama 0%
McCain 43%

* Eagle Forum (2007)
Obama 7%
McCain 46%

* AFL-CIO (2007)
Obama 100%
McCain 0%

Maryann said...

So? who was it really? Did you vote? Do you regret your candidate? i am just glad that it is over, but a bit bugged that my vote really didn't do anything.....oh well.