Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Instant Chocolate Cake

This post requires some effort on your part.

And a sense of daring.

A friend, umm, An aquaintance, someone emailed me a recipe for 5 minute chocolate cake. The recipe is as follows:

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

1 Coffee Mug
4 T flour
4 T sugar
2 T baking cocoa
1 egg
3 T milk
3 T oil
Small splash of vanilla [Is this the equivalent of a tisp?]
3 T chocolate chips (optional) [REQUIRED! I'd through in more than 3T though! In fact, I did.] Some nuts (optional) [I just stuck my finger in - ha ha.]


Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add the egg and other wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the chocolate chips and the nuts and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (This can serve 2 if you want to share!) [Seriously? Who shares chocolate? And this is 5 minutes cake. Your friend can make her own.]

So I made this cake already and have my own opinions, but don't want to bias any of y'all. Give it a whirl. Let me know what you think.

I'm sure many of you smarties out there can already deduce my opinion but JUST PRETEND YOU DON'T KNOW and try this anyway.

5 comments:

Bored in Vernal said...

Did you spray the mug with oil first? Does the cake really just "tip out" of the mug? Not that it matters, of course. It sounds just delicious! I'm off to try it.

Jillybean said...

I mad this a while ago. It's good to satisfy a chocolate craving. I couldn't finish the whole thing. It was OK, but would have been better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some of my homemade chocolate sauce.

Jillybean said...

I MADE this a while ago. Not mad. I should really proof read before I hit the publish button.

M said...

Jill - Speaking of proofreading, did you catch my "through" instead of "throw?" Yeah. You're not the only one sister.

BiV - Let me know how it goes. And no, no oil, it really did just come out for me.

M said...

I thought this cake was way too spongy and tough. I lived for any bit with a melted chocolate chip. I suppose I can't expect too much from instant chocolate but I was disappointed; I was hoping this would be the holy grail of chocolate cake recipes.