Saturday, November 1, 2008

Scary Halloween Tales

I know - everyone's doing it. Here's my recap on our Halloween:

Yesterday, my son refused to wear his Sonic the Hedgehog costume because he was embarrassed by the way it looked. He came home and saw the ears I made for him, because Sonic has ears, and scoffed. He got dressed, though, because that's what one does when threatened persuaded with a strong does of mother love.

I will admit - I'm no Jill, but I thought I did a good job with skills I have in making an approximation of Sonic. My son disagreed and semi-sulked through the whole Trick or Treat downtown yesterday afternoon. (Semi because, really, how hard is it to pull of a whole sulk when people are voluntarily giving you candy?)

Then, a couple of cute young teenage girls recognized him (no one else did the entire day) and kept ooh and aahing over Sonic, "We love you Sonic!" in a way that only young females can. Rhys was completely stoked that he was recognized and proceeded to tell me that night (totally paraphrasing here) that next time he won't judge a costume based on how it looks. Next time, he'll be patient and understand that dorky looking costumes can still be cool. Maybe next time he'll even wear the costume to school. (He was one of three 4th graders who didn't dress up.)

This morning, I'm still contemplating selling him to the gypsies - it's a good thing we didn't run into any last night.

Quinn kept being called a Power Ranger. As if. He was Bumblebee the Transformer. I mean, they've already put out one movie with a sequel due out soon and NO ONE knew who Bumblebee was. Seriously. Poor kid. He was even carrying a Transformer bag. Too bad Patrick Jane wasn't there - he would've figured it out!

We got home at about 9:30pm last night and my daughter had crashed in the car during the long drive home. I carried her into the house (we still had to wash the red hair spray out of her hair as she has been Ariel - her favorite and my least favorite princess) only to make her stand up and put her costume back on because we had to go visit neighbors who put together special candy for our kids.

Today, I'm spending the day letting my children gorge themselves on candy, TV and computer games. All so I can lie about reading, catching up on all my favorite shows, blog and not make a real meal. (I did make them eggs this morning to add some protein to all that sugar.)

Yeah, I know -- bad costume, threatening sale to Gypsies, torturing half asleep children and feeding them nothing but high-fructose corn syrup....I'm one of those mothers.

3 comments:

Jillybean said...

I think the costume is great, I can totally see Sonic.
I'm really impressed that you made eggs for your kids.
YOU are a god mom!

mia said...

I think his costume turned out good. I wish the picture was a little more zoomed in, so i could see the ears, but i think it looks great.

I guess next year he should be something that everyone knows! *wink*

M said...

Mia - if you click on the photo, it will get bigger.

And yes, I agree, part of the issue was his costume choice. Although I am surprised that more kids his age didn't know who Sonic was.

Jill - Thank you. Your costumes are AMAZING!