Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Quirks

I've been tagged!! Even after a year of blogging, being tagged still makes me smile. Thank you Zillah. You are so being added to my Christmas list!

So, I'm supposed to list my quirks. You'd think that I would have a whole novel to write wouldn't you but it's actually kinda hard to put all this to paper. Uh, computer.

1. I'm anal about spelling (although I make errors and still love those who can't spell, cough, DH.) and grammar. I'm forever correcting my children (Lulu gets a huge amount of this - it's gave not gived), my husband and even perfect strangers although I do apologize because I realize it's rude. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

2. I'm a little dramatic. Just a little. (Okay, maybe that last bit was a lie.) I use hyperbole all. the. time. I yell, I raise my voice, I cry, I laugh, I dance; I'm a regular after-school special. Is it saying something when you exhaust yourself?

3. I love being naked in between clean sheets. Feels so good.

4. I love being the same as those around me and I love being the odd ball out. I can never tell which is going to hit me at any given moment. But I like to fit in and at the same time I want to be a non-conformist. Is this just saying that, like so many others, I'm never happy? Or is this saying that Gemini was in the 7th house or something at the time of my birth? I may never know but I do occasionally wonder if my birthday should have been in June instead of August.

5. While I see myself as a bad housekeeper (or average depending on view point) they are somethings I cannot tolerate.

Videos must be alphabetized and arranged by viewers; there's a section for Robert, for me, for the boys and for the family and a whole 'nother section for "church videos" which are really Living Scriptures and Liken.

My books are organized as well. I have (or had when they weren't in tons of boxes) a section which is children's books that are mine that my children are not supposed to handle without my express permission or my presense, a section of educational books and then a section of picture books that I actually let them read and fondle (which, I must add, is far bigger than the section they can't touch). There is a section for kids' chapter books, a section for family history and then sections for literature, philosophy, child rearing, crafts and Harry Potter. Zillah has me beat on the color and size sorting - I think about doing that but then little hands destroy my work and well, I just get tired of so much sorting.

CD's should be alphabetized as well. Really, everything should be alphabetized. My children are even in reverse alphabetical order (R, Q, E).

My hanging clothes are sorted by pants, sweatshirts, nice shirts, every day shirts and dresses/skirts. All of the every day shirts are sorted by color so that they look a bit like a rainbow.

I think I have a touch of OCD. (which really, IMH, should be CDO).

6. I find/look for patterns in everything. You may think I'm kidding but I'm so not. My second son's birthday is six days after his aunt's (Robert's sister) birthday and her second son's birthday is six days after mine. Did you know facetiously is an English word that uses all of the vowels, including y, in alphabetical order?

7. I'm an incurable romantic who still gets a thrill out of romance novels. The thing is, I totally adopt the feelings of the heroine. I just read a book that I didn't like at all. The hero was, well, not quite so heroic and there was a lot of needless drama (being sold as a white slave, blah, blah, blah, keep it simple folks!). So the heroine felt all icky and I felt all icky reading it. Why did I keep reading? Because I wanted my happy ending! She should have dumped the hero's ass and moved on. Course they ended up reconciling (me vomiting) and I will end up returning the book to my library's paper back exchange section. Or burning it because (see quirk #4) I do like to burn books on occasion and have even (gasp) burned a Bible. (It's a long story but the short of it is that it was molded beyond use and needed to be burned.)

8. I'm the same way with movies. I will cry, I will laugh and I will yell at them not to get in the car or go down the stairs into a basement when the light switch doesn't work. (Hello?! Have none of these inappropriately dressed Barbies ever seen or heard of a horror flic? Don't they know Tommy's already dead and they're next?) I will hide my face or leave the room or change the channel if they are doing something really embarrasing. I love She's the Man but I do end up hiding my face quite a bit.

9. I like animals. I think every child should be raised with one. But I don't like to have animals living with me. I don't like finding hair every where and I don't like picking up poop. (Thank goodness my boys do that these days.)

10. I like to put my ear on DH's chest and listen to his heart beat. It means he's still alive. I do the same thing to my kids, when they let me. There's nothing in the world as soothing and comforting as a loved one's heart beat. I also like tummy gurgles.

11. When I'm sad or having a really bad day, I will go someplace quiet and imagine myself sitting on Heavenly Father's lap and just letting Him rock me and stroke my hair.

12. I see things move in my periferal vision ALL THE TIME. I'm convinced it's ghosts or other odd things. Or maybe just me glancing at something too quickly to properly process what I'm seeing. Whatever. (See #7) I prefer the ghost theory.

13. This is my favorite number. I also have a special place in my heart for black cats. (Maybe I'm really a witch.) But my real quirk is that I can keep houseplants alive and I can get (most) stains out of clothing. Not a big deal you say? Well, I couldn't do either of those when I got married and starting having kids but now, 11 years later, I'm pro.

Now the fun part, this is so much better then running around in circles and dying from hyperventilation and a heart attack, I get to tag other people. I would really like to hear from all my local friends: Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Carrie, Shelby, Gina and Lacey. I would also (but would really be amazed if they responded) like to tag BiV and Jill (consider this a possible post for NaBoBooBooMo or whatever). And Stephanie, and Mia, and On7 and any anonymous person. IF YOU READ THIS BLOG AT ALL, EVER, consider yourself tagged.

2 comments:

Jillybean said...

I might just do this one, however, I'm pretty sure I don't have any quirks.
Except that spelling one. (But is it really a quirk if we both have it?)
And once I put something somewhere, NOBODY better move it!

I agree with you on #9.
I love animals, but I've got 4 kids, and I don't need to be responsible for keeping one more thing alive.

Oh yeah, while on that subject, don't ever get me a houseplant. Bring me roses, they're supposed to die.

Maryann said...

I'll take you up on this one Maraiya....If I can find time. Thanks for thinking of me. Keep your eyes open and I'll get it done.