Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Am A Wicked Stepmother

(Side note: does anyone know when or when not to capitalize in a title? I wasn't going to capitalize the "a" but it looked dumb being the only non-capital in the phrase.)

My daughter had a friend over yesterday. Hailey dressed as Snow White and Emmalouise was Cinderella (although they said that they were both Cinderella) and I was the wicked stepmother. I had to talk meanly to them and order them about.

"Sweep the hearth."

They did.

"Sweep under the table."

They didn't but they did wipe down the tub and the sink in the bathroom with water dampened washcloths.

"Can we do they dishes?" they asked.

"Um...sure...er, DO THE DISHES!"

They did.

Not clean enough to put away but enough to load into the dishwasher. This kept them busy for two hours.

Seriously.

Maybe I should become a wicked stepmother to my kids; I visualize a lot more getting done.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Send them to my house! I could be a wicked step-mother.

Shelby said...

funny...I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the grout in my tile floor last night thinking "this is so Cinderella". Next time, I'll have to have your kids over for a "playdate". *wink*

M said...

I know right?! How do I convince Lulu when she's 15 and much, much better at cleaning that she still really loves this game and wants to play it?

Jillybean said...

I wish my kids would play that game. They think I'm mean because I ask them to do the dishes, but they don't usually get done.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I like that game! And I have the same problem with blog titles. I capitalize everything.

Megan O. said...

BRILLIANT!! Finally, something good coming from all that darn Disney princess memorabilia taking over my house!

Megan O. said...

Hey, just wanted you to know I gave this a try the other night and it totally WORKED!! Just randomly I started calling my daughter Cinderella and ordering her around in the kitchen. She looked at me like I was crazy for about a second but then just jumped right in. I couldn't believe my luck! You should write a parenting book!

Nora said...

Found you off of mormonmommyblogs. I have a daughter names Emma Louise. Just thought it was funny.

M said...

Megan - YEA!! I've been telling everyone about your story. I think it's hilarious!

Nora - Well welcome! And I think that's funny too - she's named after a great-grandma Emma Louise (I smooshed it together because we already have 3 Emmas in our ward as it is). Your daughter is the first Emma Louise I've met other than my daughter.