Friday, April 18, 2008

123:5

Almost sounds like a scriptures doesn't it? I think only a psalm would fit the bill, but, oh! There is no verse five to Psalm 123. Doctrine and Covenants? "And all that are in the magazines and in the encyclopedias, and all the libelous histories that are published and are writing, and by whom, and present the whole concatenation of diabolical rascality and nefarious and murderous impositions that have been practised upon this people...." Not quite an inspirational passage now but important back in the day of persecution. I have to admit, though, that the phrase, "concatenation of diabolical rascality" is pretty fun to say.

OK, so what am I doing? I'VE BEEN TAGGED! Woo-hoo! A year ago, I didn't even know what that meant beyond running with my children until I couldn't breathe and thus becoming an easy target. BiV tagged me to go to my nearest book, turn to page 123, find the 5th sentence, post the 5th sentence and then tag 5 more people (at least it isn't 123 more people!).

Alas and alack, I have no book close to me when I sit at my computer. I looked to my right (bookshelf along the back hall) and to my left (cupboard above the stove which holds some cookbooks). I then measured - the stove is far closer. I selected my most used cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cookbook) and turned to page 123. The first recipe is for Biscuits Supreme and line five reads:

"resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center."

Scintillating, no?

In desperation, I turned back to my right and to the bookshelf, I wanted to select Aristotle but then I noticed my copy of "The Second Sex." Hmmm...I thought I had discarded that. I must have decided that I just couldn't give up my feminist literature. It should be good for a line.

"approximately twenty-five per cent less than a man for digging the...."

A bit more possibilities for discussion but still...I went back to Aristotle.

"only that it holds now." Darn the end of a paragraph!

At last I gave up all pretense of proximity and went for the book I was reading when I was tagged ("A Season in the Highlands" - five short stories set in Scotland),

"voice. ' 'Tis said...' She paused for effect. 'No bogey. No...'"

and then to the book I just started reading, ("Blameless Desire" - you'd think it would have something juicy in it)

"for as long as she could remember. Now it had been...."

Uncle! Uncle! I. give. up. Where's a good "bodice ripping scene" when you need one? I could not find a good line no matter how hard I tried. Perhaps I should review my romance novels (a/k/a smut) and find a good line and then issue my challenge. Perhaps it will be a 267:15. Who knows?

Anyway, these were all my results and at the end of this I'm still exhausted (maybe this is like the children's game of tag!). I'd like to tag five people but I'm not sure I even have five readers (BiV - uh, wait, no tag backs - ok, Laura, Alexa, Mia, Liz (ooh, I'm so close!)...and Genji!! - who knew I could do it?!) Please post in the comments or on your own blog. Let me know. BTW, Genj if you fail to participate...I so TOTALLY WIN!!!

No comments: