Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy Anniversary to Me....Oh, and Robert

11 years. It's been 11 years. Some longer than others. This last one has been relatively short and sweet. But I swear, every anniversary, DH and I sit on the couch and have this discussion.

"Wow. X years."

"I know. Amazing, isn't it?"

"You're still alive."

"Neither one of us is in the loony bin."

"The children are all sound and happy."

"Hmmm....wow, how'd that all happen?"

In truth, I love my husband dearly. He makes me feel safe, wanted, sexy, loved and completed. But marriage is hard, hard work. I so didn't know what I was getting myself into and now I wonder if marriage isn't made for the young and stupid who have no clue. If I'da known then what was coming in the next 11 years, I can't guarantee I would have signed up for it. I don't know that I'd want to do it all over again (that's like someone asking me to relive my teen years - blech) but I'm very happy about moving forward with Rob so that in another year we can sit on the couch, eat chips with homemade salsa and guacamole and Daisy sour cream, drink Henry Weinhardt's Root Beer and have the above conversation.

Hopefully the above conversation will still be true 'cuz this moving thing? May just be the end of us.

3 comments:

Bored in Vernal said...

Happy day to both of you!!

Shelby said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Rob!!

M said...

Thank you, thank you! I feel like a wise, old married woman now that we're officially working on year 12. Our marriage is almost a teenager - should I be afraid?