Sunday, September 21, 2008

What Constitues a Prayer?

It's amazing to me how things come together in this life. Something sticks in my mind over here only to have the same idea reiterated in a thousand different, and seemingly unrelated, ways.

I recently read, at the urging of my SIL Julie, The Shack. It's a Christian novel about a man who's youngest daughter is kidnapped and killed. This is the "great sadness" in his life. He struggles with this until he gets a note to meet God at the shack - the place where they found her bloody dress. He goes and does meet with God and the conversations they have are interesting.

The one item, and I am so paraphrasing here, that has really stuck with me is that concept that I need to take God with me every where, even in the most mundane of circumstances. I have been thinking about this quite a bit.

In GD today there was a question, "In what ways do we give more time and attention to worldly concerns than to spiritual concerns? How can we assess whether we are giving enough attention to our spiritual welfare?" When they read this question, I immediately thought of the idea that there are no temporal laws given, only spiritual ones. What if everything we do temporally, really has spiritual significance? Then there should be no dichotomy between temporal concerns and spiritual ones. This went hand in hand with my idea that I need to have God fully present in my life at all times.

In The Shack they brought up this discussion along with the idea that it isn't practical to be on your knees praying or studying the word all day long; to do so would neglect my children and other responsibilities the Lord has given me. But I am so used to a formal relationship with God. Prayer means taking time to talk and listen.

In RS I brought up this idea and some said, "Oh but you're doing it already." I responded that there are days, weeks even, when I don't give a thought to God let alone pray or study His word. Another sister mentioned that even then, when I am failing to do something formally, I am still living with Him and His spirit because I am praying and drawing near to Him by my actions: tending the children, cleaning our home, giving service to my community.

To these thoughts came the one that "...the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." (D&C 25:12)

Which leaves me wondering, what constitutes a prayer? How formal or informal do I need to be? Does it need to be conscious? Or do, as this sister suggested, my actions alone create a prayer?

1 comment:

mia said...

I believe that prayer is like a phone call to God. You speak to him the way you would a very good friend. You tell him everything and don't hide anything...all emotions flow freely.