Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Huffing and A Puffing

I worked out today.

I worked out yesterday too.

Thank you. Thank you.

Now that I've received all your applause and accolades, let me explain further.

I am so out of shape - holy cow! Yesterday I selected one my easiest workouts. You know, the work out you put in the days when you don't feel like exercising. It's my "Walk Away The Pounds, 2 Mile Walk." In the past, my glory days, I would strap on ankle weights and bend my knees to up the intensity enough to make me sweat. Yesterday, I wanted to take off all the belly flab and walk as straight-legged as possible to make it easier. (I even followed the modified routine!) On a walk people! Then, the final insult, I couldn't complete the two miles. I was sweating. My left shoulder was killing me (I have no idea how the shoulder is connected to the walking foot but there you have it) and I was so. done. I turned off the tape 3 minutes past the 1 mile marker. I didn't even make it to the segment with the weights and had to place my Progresso soup cans back in the pantry, unused.

Today, I woke up bleary eyed at 6am. 6 A.M.! I dressed and trudged over to Liz's house. I knocked as quietly as possible on the fully darkened house. She had forgotten her pledge to workout with me. Good thing she's the BFF and forgiveness is readily offered. I went back to sleep. Sleep is so much better than walking. But, by the Grace of God - I swear, I got motivated to work out after the boys were off to school and I, me, Maraiya, actually did the whole two mile tape!! The shoulder hurt a mite and yes, I was still sweating as if I had just finished a Tae-Bo work out, but I DID IT!!

Unfortunately, now I have to do it again tomorrow.

I really wish there were a special work out, even if it were an hour or two long, that I could do once and be forever done with working out.

Any fitness gurus out there? Could you get on that? Because I would totally buy your book/DVD or whatever if that were possible.

7 comments:

mia said...

Having a good workout "support team" really helps ones morale. I found when my man didn't cheer me on...i wouldn't work out as hard...like what is the point of this.
I will cheer you and implore you to exert yourself...as i watch from the couch! ;)

M said...

lol - Thanks. Feelin' the love.

Carrie and Megan said...

Yea Maraiya!!! Walk a mile for me!!

Anonymous said...

I completely understand. In fact, I am procrastinating my workout right now and I even got up before the kids to do it. I am trying to make excuses...the haze is bothering my lungs, I have lots of work to do....blah, blah, all true, but blah nonetheless. Keep at it!

M said...

Carrie - I did. Walked too more miles today and I even used the Progesso soup cans. Yea me!

Niki - what is it about today? I didn't want to work out at all. It's 10am and I'm finally done but I haven't showered, etc. I'm dragging my feet despite getting plenty of rest.

Lizzie said...

I SAID I WAS SORRY! I guess I am a very very bad work out buddy! I had all the faith in the world to work out with you, Please forgive me and don't ever let me agree to anything so full of the body movement while I am under the influence of coffee. I was full of energy when I had the fabulous thought of working out at 6am.... maybe in the evening? how does that sound between, soccer, scouts, karate, me working late on wednesday? how does that sound do you think we can fit it in?

I feel (u like the counseling words)? that our friendship of eating ice cream and cookies is a work out enough, we should really count the steps it takes to fun back and forth to each others houses I bet in 1 week we walk at leat 1/4 of a mile! whew that is just making me sweat just thinking about it...

By the way can you tell I am bored at work?

MadMad said...

You know what helps me? TV. Well, not TV, because then there are commercials, and who wants to sit through those? But you get a DVD with some juicy series you never got a chance to watch while it was on IRL, and watch an episode while you treadmill (or bike or whatever). It helps a little, because then you at least have the show to look forward to. I finished all seven seasons of the West Wing, and am working on Closer and Dirt now.