Saturday, September 13, 2008

Listening for 11 Years

I thought I had written the anniversary post but this was too good to pass up.

Rob and I spent most of the day working on the house - a constant theme in our lives for the last 6 weeks. (And yes, the light at the end of the tunnel is not only in sight, but drawing steadily closer.) We are going out tonight for our obligatory date (miniature golfing because I've never been and there are no courses where we're going) and had to clean up. The kids are playing a super-soaker war at the neighbors so we showered together. Showered only. I mention this only because it is an important point to the story and I normally wouldn't be telling quite so much. Yeah. Right.

Anyway, I was getting undressed and into the shower when I said, "Mis.ter. Rumpsen! Would you rather have me bathe bare. bean. and butt. naked. in the middle of the day?!"

Of course, as we're showering, I mention that I've got that quote stuck in my head. The conversation continued thusly:

Rob: What quote?

Me: "Mis.ter. Rumpsen! Would you rather have me bathe bare. bean. and butt. naked. in the middle of the day?!"

Me (afraid that DH would think I'm off my rocker and that would violate our important anniversary conversation, which we haven't had yet.): You know, it's a movie quote where the wife is explaining to the husband why she's bathing in the middle of the night in the middle of a mining camp because he's chewing her out for doing so.

Rob: Yeah, I know. It's from that movie....

Me: Oooh, can you guess which one?

Rob: Clint Eastwood is in it....

Me: Yup. You're getting there...(singing now) "Gotta dream boy, gotta song, hmmm-hmmm-hmm-hmmm, and come along!"

Rob: I know which one....

Me:"Where am I going? I don't know. When will I get there? I ain't certain."

Rob:It's not Cat Balloo...

Me (amazed that Robert even knows that's a film title): No, but Lee Marvin's in it.

Rob: I know. I can see it. It's not Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. That's that other movie.

Me (almost fainting now. Seriously? He remembers that movie?!):"I was boo-rn under a wandring star...."

Rob: No, I know it. It's got the Mormon with the two wives and they're both nursing the same baby.

Me: No, the one is nursing the other's baby because hers died.

Rob: Yeah, the favorite wife's baby.

Me: Yup.

Rob: And they're mining gold.

Rob: And the song about Mary.

Me thinking: Yup, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did that one.

Silence. Scrubbing.

Me: If you can get this right...

Rob: You'll do fun things to me tonight?

Me:...I'll give you a button saying "I know more musicals than I should."

Me: And bonus points if you can tell me why this movie's so important.

Silence. Hair washing.

Rob: Paint Your Wagon.

Me (Hallalujah chorus going off internally but trying to be all nonchalant): And can you tell me why this movie is so important and why it will be forever in our household?

Rob: That wasn't part of the deal.

Me: I changed the rules before you answered the question.

Silence. Shaving.

Rob: "They Call The Wind Maria."

Me (Well knock me over with a feather!): Wow. You really do listen to me!

1 comment:

Alexa said...

You two are awesome. Thanks for sharing this shower conversation! I hope you did do fun things on your anniversary. *wink*