Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Joys

Christmas was, overall, delightful. I have struggled as an adult, though, to find the Christmas spirit. Rob said to me over and over again that it just didn't feel like Christmas for him this year. Quite frankly, I've had that feeling almost every year since I got married and had kids. Is it just too much of the detail and behind the scenes work that seems to steal so much of the magic? Is it knowing that I placed all those presents under the tree and that they didn't just show up by magic? It was always a miracle to go to bed to a fairly empty tree and wake up with presents and stockings stuffed and everything aglow.

The kids had a great time though and I loved, LOVED seeing their little faces, both in receiving gifts and in giving them.

Lulu said to me, "Mom, this is a gift I made." I began to unwrap it, "It's a pot holder, " she continued before I could unwrap. She's been working so hard to maintain a surprise but I think waiting gets the best of many of us.

My nephew, Nicholas, gave us homemade Peanut Butter Balls. My SIL Julie said that he was wavering between making the balls or buying gifts from the dollar store and decided to make the peanut butter balls because they "are made from the heart."

It was a great day - lazy and fun and full of family.

Surprisingly, though, a friend of mine (Niki) dropped off a gift shortly before Christmas. I put it under the tree because I love the big surprise. I opened it Christmas day and was thrilled to find, "Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six word memoirs by famous and obscure writers." I've read the whole thing. Some of them twice. It was a beautiful book; many of the memoirs made me laugh and I could relate to many as well.

So, in honor of one of my favorite gifts of the day (it's hard to compete with a preschooler's self-colored hot pad), I've been trying to think of what my own memoir would be. Six words is tough.

Today I was sitting in church and it came to me:

Trying daily. Finding joy and God.

(And yes, trying should be taken in both senses of the word - just ask Robert.)

Not nearly as entertaining as being a holy rolling mother but I think it fits.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

4 comments:

Zillah said...

i loved the holy rolling mother, but like this one even more.

i still can't keep gifts a secret. i gave my brother his two days before christmas, and can never keep from telling anyone what i'm giving them. pathetic.

M said...

I have learned to bit my tongue but then I begin to fret. I had Julie this year for gifts (the adults draw names) and I bought her gift WAY back in June. I was so excited and just wanted to give it to her. Months passed and I began to worry that she would hate it and I should just buy her something else.

Bah - I would so much rather see a gift that makes me think of someone and then give it to them; darn societal expectations of gifts of birthdays and holidays!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the book. I wasn't sure... lol

Suburban Correspondent said...

I feel that way about Christmas, too...