Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snowy Days

It started snowing Sunday night and it hasn't stopped since.

Well, okay. I exaggerate.

Mildly.

We had a brief respite on Wednesday and sort-of Thursday when the snow stopped long enough and it warmed up just enough to allow the children to go to school (this being their last week before break and all). But the cold front came back with full force Thursday night and the kids officially began their Winter Break one day earlier than expected (after just having an impromptu four-day weekend).

So, okay, I'm a mom. It's winter time. I know this is to be expected (the no school thing) and sometimes it's kinda fun. I've taken a ton of pictures of kids making snow angels and sledding and making butt prints - all the essentials.

But now I done.

Time for the snow to melt.

This is why I live in Western Oregon and not, oh, in the mountains or something insane.

This is my last winter before having to survive the certain snow and ice that comes with every Alaskan winter.

This is my last winter not to care about winter driving - ah, the real story behind this post.

I hate to drive in the snow. I don't care if it's only an inch.

I know - y'all are laughing at me and mocking me. I can hear it, "But you grew up in Alaska." Alaska, schmalaska. I can't drive in the snow.

It freaks me out.

It makes me cry.

It makes my heart go pitter-pat and my breaths come faster and deeper. (And you thought Rob was the only one who could do that!)

The reality is I only drove in Alaskan winters for about two season (and then a week or two on Winter Break from college). That's it. I've been living in milder climates ever since.

And what happened during those few experiences? Let's review shall we....

There was the time when I was driving to school from seminary and the car did a complete 360 during rush hour traffic leaving me bumper to guard rail.

There was the time when I slid, while trying to park to go Christmas shopping, on a sheet of ice and ran my dad's truck into a car. I had to approach everyone in the shop and ask, "Excuse me, do you own the Mercedes-Benz parked outside?" Turns out, it was owned by a prominent local attorney.

Yeah.

What can I say? I'm traumatized.

Thursday was probably the best weather of the week and only because it was cold enough to snow (no freezing rain - hallelujah) but not cold enough to stick. I had to run some errands; we were out of milk, eggs, cheese, laundry detergent, kitty litter and dog food. It was Lulu's last day of preschool. Ever. (Damn budget cuts.) So, places to go, things to do, I pumped myself up with fearless power and started up the van. I slammed that baby in reverse and moved about a foot before spinning tires.

I tried again.

I drove forward and then reverse. Now I was closer to the garage than when I started.

I got rocks from our side parking area and placed them under the tires.

That worked for a few feet which got me back to the place I originally started it.

I tried and tried and tried and got no where.

I called Robert. I am not going to cry.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I'm fine. How's your day." Not going to cry.

"It's okay. Are you crying?"

Damnit - I was crying. "No, I'm fine."

"What's going on? What can I do?"

I burst out, "I can't @&#$ get my car out of our driveway." Now I was sobbing.

I could tell this was going to be a good day.

Robert came home and drove the van out of the driveway as easy as you please.

I felt real smart and super talented.

I soldiered on though (mainly because although Robert had offered to chauffeur me around, he didn't really mean it and he really wanted to get back to work - it's the thought that counts I suppose). I started to tool around town. I had that steering wheel in a death grip. Every pedestrian casually walking on the sidewalk evoked this response, "Hmmm....hope I don't kill you."

I muttered over and over again, "Please God, get me home safe."

In a nut shell (too late), I made it home just fine, despite countless trips to the stores as I kept forgetting everything I needed. But I'm still not any happier about driving in the snow; I was chauffeured about today and I'm sure the same will hold true for tomorrow.

Robert is determined to teach me how to drive in the snow - while I can get away with not driving a day or two here, I'm pretty sure I can't give up driving from September to May after the move.

All I can say is, "Pray for me people."

To hell with that, "Pray for everyone else on the road, especially pedestrians."

At least I'm realistic.

3 comments:

Lena's Mom said...

Oh, honey, you're not alone in your fear. I am the same way. Can't stand to drive in snow and I break out into a cold sweat every time I have to venture out in it. I don't think it is so much me, it's the other idiots out there that scare me the most.

M said...

Thanks Laura! The downside is that I'm one of those "other idiots." I'm just smart enough to know it and try and stay off the road. Robert is determined to upgrade me out of the "other idiots" category. Yeah. We'll see.

But the snow is gone! Yea! The days are getting longer! Yea! Life is so looking up!

Suburban Correspondent said...

I think you are the sort of person a grocery-delivery service is made for. At least, in the winter...