Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Memorization Mondays

So I have started participating in a scripture memorization...thingy (yeah, I know, the brain's exhausted) from Megan at the O-Show. It's been fun for me to memorize scriptures that weren't part of the Seminary 100 nor part of the standard set of LDS references (you know what I'm talking about). It's also been helpful to have these verses at the ready when I study the scriptures.

But the real reason I'm blogging about this?

I'm not so good at memorizing. I solve this problem by making up songs for every single verse. So far, I've only done four and, quite frankly, I'm a little worried that the well of ditties is going to run dry before I memorize all that I would like to.

But most importantly, I have much more compassion and understanding for Vanja J. Watkins.

You know, the lady who set all 13 Articles of Faith to song.

I have always hated those songs. I know hate is a strong word and that I shouldn't use it, but may I say, "I hate those songs!"

They have odd melodies, no sense of theme or rhythm....they are just so dissonant to the spirit!
But now, after composing my own little ditties for scripture, I realize that a HUGE part of that is inherent in writing music for scripture when you're trying to leave the verse intact, word for word. Scripture, as a whole - not saying there aren't exceptions - does not have the poetry and rhyme that we are used to in song.

So, I figure I've gained understanding for someone where there previously was none, memorized 4 Bible verses (Eph 4:29, Ps 16:11; 73:25-26, and Deut 30:19) and come up with 4 ditties.

Not. too. shabby for two weeks work.

No comments: