Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Conversation with Mrs. Y

I need to update - sometimes it's hard to remember what remains to be said. It's one of those moments where I remember whenever I'm no where near a computer but then I sit down in front of the screen and I just want to ramble on about my toe nail polish. Or something.

After the roller skating party I did email Mrs. Y, Quinn's 1st grade teacher. She did some observation and spoke with Quinn, discreetly of course. She says she notices that other kids tend to shy away from him at times because he gets so intense. (Hmmm..can't imagine where he got that from!) She said that it's not that they don't seem to like him, but sometimes he's just too much to take and, well, a bit immature. She's says that it should come and that he really is normal in terms of 7yo development.

Interestingly, she asked him whom he would like to be friends with in the class. Quinn chose two people, one of whom is advanced socially and quite mature and another who is at the opposite end of the spectrum. She suggested that perhaps this speaks of his necessity for duality being the middle child and having Rhys (socially mature) above him and Lulu (well, little Miss Bossy is only 4!) below him. In all, she said he seems fine but encouraged me to have him engage with his peers outside of school, especially this summer. She said she should be able to release a class roster to me once all the kids have been placed.

It looks like I have some work to do. I think I know one of the kids whom Quinn wants to befriend but I don't know their parents. I met her briefly last summer and she suggested they get together but I hesitated because of not knowing her, lost the number and now, when I desperately do want to get them together, I can't find it or meet her. She must work because every time I see this boy, he is with an adult other than a parent. Not so helpful for arranging play dates!

Moral of the story: breathe. Stop placing my own heinous elementary memories on Quinn and making assumptions on his psyche based on my own. It turns out my kids are probably better adjusted than I am! Does that mean I'm doing something right or that they are turning out well in spite of myself? Sort of like Limhi with King Noah for a dad. (Not that I'm King Noah bad but...ok, I'm just rambling. Enough. Quinn can spell that last word by the by.)

Wow. Maybe I should subtitle this the ramblingest post I've ever written. Then again, you might argue with me. If so, what is the ramblingest post I've ever written? Not that I think any of you are going to answer that question. Ah, well, *sigh* if I keep this up, this will, conclusively, be the ramblingest post I've ever written. Ok - stopping.

5 comments:

Jillybean said...

It's so great when the teacher will get involved to help a child who is struggling socally. We've had a few teachers who have really helped our shy one feel more comfortable, and provided opportunities for them to be more involved with te other kids in the class.
Have you ever volunteered in your son's classroom? Getting to know all the other kids his age has helped me to realize that my kid isn't really all that weird. (Not that the other kids are weird, mine just isn't as different from the others as I thought)

M said...

I haven't volunteered in his classroom (and school ends it, ack, 6 more days!). I still have my 4yo at home and haven't felt able to do so. Maybe I will try that next year.

And yes, I love Mrs. Y. She is one of the most fabulous teachers ever and I'm so grateful that both of my boys have had her.

I am always surprised though when I start asking about my kids how much they are just like other kids. Sometimes it's hard to see in this vacuum of our house. Good point.

mia said...

I think this was a ramble post, but i liked it. You fear for your children, as a good mother should. You are a good mom and your kids will turn out to be well rounded Individuals.
I fear for my kids as well. Ian is too nice and allows people to walk all over him. Sashi has so many highs and lows, that it is almost like she is bi-polar or 5! *wink*

Maryann said...

miss maraiya,

you did ramble, but do you feel better now? I hope so. Quinn is Quinn and you just need to settle your britches down a bit missy. He's fine....you're not. Worry wart comes to mind because I am one too. Love you.

Lena's Mom said...

Hello Luv,

I think Quinn will be fine, every kid is different and he will develop in his own time. It probably would be a good idea to set up play dates with some of his soon to be classmates though. It will give him a head start for next year.