Sunday, June 15, 2008

Redneck Garage Hunting

Last night Robert and I were fed up with the pigeons roosting on the wires above our drive. We have an extraordinary amount of pigeon poop next to our mailbox and while I don't think I'm missish, I really don't want to go tracting through dung. Rob got out his pellet gun and proceeded to shoot the little buggers. He tagged a couple off them (not one died darnit!) and they flew away. He then walked into the garage and swore. I came to investigate. He said he either stepped on something or saw something large and furry run past him (I can't remember which).

We quickly tucked the children into bed and proceeded to tear apart the garage. We have an extra fridge next to an upright freezer. Robert pulled these away from the wall and there were oodles of rat droppings and shredded insulation. Eew. Suddenly pigeon droppings aren't quite so bad. We got a broom and started sweeping and then Rob whipped out the shop vac and started cleaning out the underside of the freezer. He could see beady eyes.

Pictures this, if you will, my husband on the cement floor, brandishing a vacuum hose while I stood above him, BB gun cocked and loaded and aimed at the back end of the freezer. I felt I needed to black out some teeth and hand a piece of hay from my lips.

Robert kept trying to get the animal but couldn't so he grabbed the gun and fired under the freezer. He said it stopped twitching and I'm worried our garage will be stinking soon as we couldn't get it out from under the freezer.

We started pulling more things out of the garage. The large bags of dog food and kitty food were all unmolested as was all of our food storage (which is mostly cans). But when we pulled out some shelving, there was more poop, more insulation and a large pile of dog food - no idea where that came from. We swept it all up, boarded up the holes (hoping they will starve before they can gnaw their way free) and debated leaving our kitty out there but I was too afraid she'd get injured!

We came back in the house feeling loathsome and the dust of rat leavings in our noses. I whipped out the Dial (I'm normally against anti-bacterial soap for bathing but thought this was an important exception) and scoured our skin. Yuck.

I'm still afraid to go out the garage. Maybe I'll take to packing heat -- BB's at least.

6 comments:

M said...

Is it me, or does the background seem a little too sweet for this post?

Lizzie said...

OOOH my dear friend and I thought that the shootings from the BB gun were for the weird and creepy neighbor across the street, for some uncertain reason I thought that since you saw me across the street in my BRIGHT PINK jammies that you thought is was the wonder woman in the pink out fit coming to haunt you and beg you for chocolate and steal all of it from you..... but now that I think about it you probably would have handed me a bag of poop and said "here are the chocolate covered raisins take them and please leave me alone ghost of chocolate past present and future, it is all the chocolate I have!" ummmm yummy to the tummy OOH ICK!!!

M said...

lol. Oh Liz, good idea. Beware the neighbor bearing raisinets.....

Carrie and Megan said...

Okay, I cannot stop laughing!! I can just see Robert out there. You know right where Brian would be---in the house preferable on the kitchen table, while we try to bribe one of our children to go out there and clean it up!! My bet is on Melissa, she is always up for adventure!! At least I know who to call next time we have an infestation.

Maryann said...

LOL! The whole though and visual is too much! I agree that pigeon droppings quickly wouldn't be at the top of my list neither. I'm sorry. And yes, that mouse is too cute so find an uglier pic of one and trade. is that why you skipped church because you have haunta virus(sp)?

M said...

Uh, yeah sure, (cough, cough), we have hanta virus. Very contagious. Can't come to church for weeks. (Gasp for breath) Excuse me while I go back to bed.