Wednesday, July 9, 2008

15th Reunion

Well, I never did RSVP. I was feeling still completely hesitant about going up until the minute I did. But God, He's a good God and He took good care of me.

The reunion was on the 5th and on the 4th, as we were all sitting around at the BBQ, Mia asked me to go on a walk. So we walked past all the festivities to the beach. We walked down toward the water and I looked to my left and saw a girl whom I had grown up with, Regina. We went to school together from elementary all the way through high school. (And I liked her.) I got very excited and she and I started chatting. She introduced me to her family and I introduced her to Mia. I told her about the reunion (she didn't know about it) and we discussed going (neither of us were sure but I advised to eat first so they wouldn't have to eat there - I do respect the whole RSVP thing).

So, when I went to the reunion, lucky me, I was the first one there other than the hostesses. We said hello, oohed and aahed over their babies, chatted and then, awkward silence. I knew all the hostesses but, well, we weren't exactly best of friends. Or even good friends. Or even really friends. More like general acquaintances. But, here's where the God is good part comes in, the girl from the 4th at the beach, Regina, she was the 2nd person to show up. I ran to her (no hyperbole) and hugged her - so happy! I told her that I had left my kids with Mia figuring that it would be an easy out, "Oh sorry, I've got to split and go get my kids." Turns out, Regina did a similar thing; her teenaged daughter was working and while she could get her mother to pick up the child, she was opting to do so, "Oh sorry, I've got to split and go get my daughter." Fabulous. Isn't there a line about great minds thinking alike?

Regina became my anchor and I clung to her side for the next little bit, welcoming others who showed up, some of whom I only had a vague recognition (they weren't even up to acquaitance status) and then Nell showed up. I was thrilled. I had gone to her wedding and had thought of her over the years but hadn't seen her since then (oh, 14 years ago). She and I chatted, exchanged email addresses and then I was off. Outta there! Coincidentally, or not, Regina and I basically left at the same time. I'm so glad God sent a friend, even one I'm not close with and haven't spoken to in years, to my rescue because, really, I felt like the uncool kid who somehow scores an invite to the popular kids' party only to stand in a corner sipping her water all night and watching with that creepy kind of lonely desparation.

Am I going to go to my 20th? I don't know. There are a few people I would really like to see who say that they will be at the 20th. If they go, I'll go. Barring that, I think I could actually find a party with my ultra cool friends and then I could be the one in the center of the room dancing on the table. So much more fun than sipping water in the corner.

7 comments:

Lizzie said...

I am not quite sure if you had a good time or a bad time, I am thinking it was just awkward. But I really want to know what happens at those things, are the young pretty cheerleaders fat today? THAT is the ultimate question, how many kids, husbands you know the routine, did their lives that looked so pretty in high school look a little dirty today? I miss you and I wish I could have been there to be your date, we would have looked GREAT! together and boy oh boy we would be the talk of town! LOL
Love and Miss you soooooooooooo much

M said...

I have to say that there was nothing fairy tale about the reunion. The cute, popular kids seemed to still be themselves. It just was what it was back in high school only, I'm hoping, a wee bit more patience with each other. It did get me thinking though, because not everyone was happy to see me, that maybe I was a smug little miss know-it-all back in the day. Maybe I wasn't as together and good as I remember being back in hs.

And Lizzo, if you had gone with me and I had still left my kids somewhere else, I would have just introduced you as my partner and really got the tongues awagging.

I love you and miss you too!

Jillybean said...

So, are you glad you went?

My 5 year HS reunion was held in the school cafeteria (catered) and we watched a slide show from high school which included only the cheerleaders and football players. The power went out halfway through, and we didn't get to see the whole thing............darn.
My 10 year reunion, I was 9 months pregnant, and not willing to spend the money on a new tent dress for the semi-formal occasion, or for the expensive tickets to the dinner.
My 20 year didn't happen because nobody was willing to take charge. I don't think I would have gone anyway, because the only people I would be interested in seeing reunion, are the ones that I've already bothered to keep in touch with.

Jillybean said...

I've always thought it would be fun to crash a high school reunion, and pretend to know everyone, and see how many people "remembered" me.

M said...

I think I'm glad I went to my reunion. There were definitely awkward moments but overall I think it went well.

Luckily, there were no slideshows. I think, in our senior yearbook, I'm on maybe two pages. Maybe. Yeah, I was definitely not a cheerleader or drill teamer or a hot chick. Girls with brains are never important in high school unless your a hot chick. Cubby girls with brains? Sign your social death warrant!

Jules said...

You know I've never gone to any of my reunions. Because they probably can't even find me. Which may be a good thing, I suppose. But I've talked to others who have said that the women looked the same..... but most of the guys were bald! LOL

Shelby said...

Glad to hear that your reunion went better than expected. Life can turn out that way sometime. I didn't go to my 10th, when you live in a small town, a night out at the local Pub seems like a class reunion.