Saturday, July 12, 2008

Epiphany

I, apparently, didn't post enough about my reunion as I have gotten a few more questions (see comments to last post). No, the skinny girls were still skinny and overtly successful. Yes, I was the fattest one there. Yes, I think I had a fun time despite some awkward moments. No, I don't think anyone would have really missed me if I failed to show.

But, I did have a wee bit of an epiphany. (Is a wee epiphany an oxymoron?)

As I talked with people and heard their life stories, I realized that everything is a trade-off (and yes, you can remind me of this post when I start whining about my existential blues). True, I don't have a highly successful career as a physician (as I was sure I would when I was in high school). True, I'm just a SAHM (and yes, Oprah, I say just). But I started thinking about what I have traded my life for. I am able to be home with my children and give them my time and energy. Robert and I aren't running in opposite directions or trying to squeeze a million things in one day. I'm not saying that if a mom works outside the home that her children are doomed, but I do know how hard it is to run a smooth, happy household when both parents are working; shoot, I know how hard it is to run a smooth, happy household when only one parent works outside the home.

So, here's the thing: Robert and I have chosen to have a family and to raise them with me at home with them. Time will change and things will adjust but for now this is our focus and how we have chosen to parent. We have both sacrificed quite a bit to enable our household to continue as is. I believe that there will be rewards from our sacrifices and I believe that I still have a great deal more time to chase my dreams and to make it to Europe. Maybe even be a physician. But at the end of the day, I have great kids who know they are loved. And that is success.

I'll save the world in another year or two. Or fourteen.

3 comments:

Randi said...

Wow! I loved this post. You're right - everything is a trade off! I think sometimes we just don't remember exactly what we traded for.
I wrote a post about a similar experience I had about a week ago.
Thanks for the gentle reminder!

Shelby said...

AWESOME POST! You have such a beautiful way of wording things.
That was just what I needed to hear this very minute! I totally respect you and think you are one of the mothers I truly admire. You do a great deal for your kids and they are better kiddos because of it. We are blessed to be a SAHM and yes I will remind you of that when I need to. Remind me to tell you a story when you get home and we are together. :)

robert said...

your not a sham stop it and you were the hottest one at your reunion what ever who cars if you put your foot in your mouth can they fit your foot in there mouth stop thinking about what people think your great !!!!!! love ya