Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Mouse Has Landed

I would throw an exclamation point after the title but I feel like I'm over using those bits of punctuation and they're just too powerful to be callously tossed about.

So, we made it. I've been up since 4am. Okay, 4:10am (I took the luxury and hit snooze once). The first leg to Seattle was quite smooth and easy and no problems. The kids watched a movie in the airport and then we walked to the food court (Holy gift of God, Batman, we found a table!) and had Wendy's burgers at 9:30am. Mmm...nothing like needing lunch before 10am! We made a video, I'll be sure to post it later, that required many takes as to avoid names and faces of my children (paranoid hubby). We played Mancala, Go Fish and sipped a Frosty (the real reason we ate at Wendy's).

We boarded the plane and lo and behold, sitting in first-class was Calista Flockhart and her son Liam. Really. I stared good and hard to make sure. That' s me - uber classy!

We walked to our so not first-class seats (row 25) and had an uneventful flight. No real food (but we were full of a Wendy's gut bomb) and while they offered Jones sodas, it was only the standard flavors, no Green Apple. So. Sad.

The real excitement came via, what else, bodily functions. Quinn used the airplane restroom, oh, whoops, lavatory, 3 times - it was a 2 hour flight. 2 hours. And when the plane was descending, he said that he had to go again. Urgently. I told him to hold it. And then poor Lulu had to go. She'd been sleeping two hours but woke up as we were in descent and the lavatories were closed off. By the time the plane had come to a stop, she was crying because she had to go. What could I do? I picked her up hoping she would calm down and hold it just 5 more minutes (really, eternity) and she didn't. Nope. Started peeing on me; I dropped her placed her gently on ground and let her pee on the aisle carpet. Seriously. What else was I supposed to do?!?! Then they announce that the airplane is too far forward and could everyone please be seated so they could back up a skoshe. I sat and placed Lulu on my lap. Yea. I had pee on my shirt and now one nice big wet spot on each of my thighs. People, this is mother love.

We deboarded the plane and I told the flight attendants that there had been an accident on the right side of the aisle between rows 24 and 25.

"On the seat or on the floor?" they queried.

"On the floor." I replied.

"What do you mean by accident? Did they spill..."

"Pee. She peed." I said pointing at Lulu.

And with that, we left. Really, people, what was I supposed to do?

So, as we are waiting for our baggage (and I am surreptitiously glancing at Calista and looking for Harrison - who was no where to be found), I hear them announcing that the next flight (our plane was turning around and going back to Seattle) was being delayed by an "unscheduled maintenance." At first I panicked a bit and thought I would be blogging about how we narrowly avoided disaster. But later, driving in the car with my dad, it dawned on me - they were, most likely, cleaning up my daughter's urine!

Note to the travel weary: Children peeing on aisle carpeting could delay the outbound flight by 30 minutes.

Note to all those who traveled on the outgoing flight: I am so, so, SO sorry.

Note to the older couple who sat next to me and were completely nonplussed by my child urinating on the exit of our row: Thank you for your patience, humor and compassion.

Oh, and thank you all - BiV, Evil Mia (mwahahahahah), Stefanie, Lizzie, Shelby and Laura (and David Santos - spoken in bass voice) - for leaving me sweet messages. It was so nice to arrive here after all the excitement and read such love. Thank you.

And BiV, I'm SOOOOOO happy that I'm finally feeding on your blog.

7 comments:

Jillybean said...

I'm confused. How did they get that mouse to stay on the top of the plane like that?
Duct tape?
Crazy glue?
Wouldn't it pass out at high altitudes?

Just wondering.

Jillybean said...

I'm so impressed that you only hit the snooze once. I've learned how to push that magic button without even waking up.
So sorry to hear of your airline potty troubles.

Glad to hear you got there OK. (I mean, other than the "incident")

Before I read the post, I thought the photo of Calista was you.

Bored in Vernal said...

wow, Mariaya--being mistaken for Calista Flockhart. I think that will make your day! It would mine.

Lena's Mom said...

So glad to hear you made it without too much trouble. Poor LuLu and you of course with your pee drenched clothes. I will however miss talking to you. I don't know if I can handle not talking to you for a month. boohoo

Maryann said...

oh my hell! that is the funniest thing that I have ever heard. When you gotta go....you gotta go!. thank you for not letting her pee on the seat as it would be my luck to get that chair outbound to Salt Lake city! That is one for the journal. Glad you made it fine and with wet thighs! Have fun.

M said...

Oh my goodness! Y'all made me laugh!

Jill - I love you. I wholeheartedly agree with BiV that being mistaken for Calista has made my day. I think her waist is the equivalent of one of my thighs. But, I'll take the compliment. (I think my face is prettier but that's just me.)

Laura - I will miss you too. I will email my number (I will be harder to reach though) but I won't be able to call out because really, there no such thing as cheap long distance OUT of AK. In is no problem but apparently outbound is too tough for the phone companies!

Maryann - See? I thought having her pee on the floor and sit on my lap rather than the chair was a good thing but the flight attendants didn't seem to agree. Picky, picky, picky.

Alexa said...

Ok - I am totally laughing out loud. Lulu peeing in the airplane is absolutely hilarious!!