Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Random Posts that I Keep Forgetting To Put Up

HEY! I WON SOMETHING!!

Okay, it's little and it's small and it's neon green but it was a free present in the mail and that counts for a lot! Where did I get you say? From this lovely website that tells you where to give good deals and then gives you the opportunity to win free stuff. (What's not to like?)


Do Bears *&@# In The Woods?

I'm not sure but they do in my friend's yard.

It was an odd thing to hear, several times, admonishments to the children to "Watch out for bear poop!"

You Want Me To Eat Where?

We picnicked at Eagle Beach after our visit to the Shrine. The picnic benches were sturdy things that have been there for as long as I can remember. They have definitely weathered many an Alaskan winter (and summer for that matter) though.

[Note the lovely moss and lichen.] [Note the canister of carrots that are untouched. That never changed but the Rice Krispie treats were fully devoured.]

A Moment of Peace

There was this very lovely prayer labyrinth.

The path was laid out with stones (which made it very easy for the girls to get to the center - they jumped over the rocks - while the boys struggled as they tried to actually solve the thing)

and in the middle was a giant boulder with all sorts of offerings.

I loved the spirit of that place and feeling the hopes and dreams and worries and prayers of so many people laid upon that altar and given to God.

Woman Power!

I had a few moments at the Shrine (I think I was getting vibes from Ayla) and took some "girl power photos." Lulu and I posed, just the two of us, in front of the statue of St. Therese. And then, following the stations of the cross, I snapped this photo.

I love to think about Our Savior and the way He treated the women around Him. I love that women are a vital part of the Plan of Salvation. I love that during the crucifixion, entombment and resurrection, there are women everywhere. This moment seemed to sum all that up.

That may be all but then again, knowing my supreme flakiness, that may be not.

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

i love that you took a picture of bear poo! cracks me up! way to document everything! i'm glad you are having so much fun! Are you homesick for oregon at all?

M said...

I am homesick. Most particularly for Robert!

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed the labyrinth last summer. Did you find my library check-out slip?! :)

M said...

Absolutely! Did you ever turn them back in because I think I noticed a nice fine slip as well. ;)

Jillybean said...

Bear poop?
And I thought the dogs in our neighborhood were annoying.
What about Moose poop? I hear there are Moose (Meese? Mooses? what is the proper word for the plural form of Moose?) Wandering through the streets up there.
It sounds like you're having a fun trip.

M said...

I having a great trip!

The moose (it is it's own plural like sheep or fish) tend to wander more in smaller towns or in central Alaska. A friend's mom was once locked in her home by a momma moose and calf who refused to move out of her front yard!

The crazy thing is - and I still need to post photos of this - I was at that same friends house last Friday and a bear just came rambling down the street wandering in and out of people's yards. Surreal!