Sunday, July 27, 2008

Close Encounters of the Alaskan Kind

We went to a birthday party last Friday at Sara's house, the one with the bear poop. We had a lovely time. We bowled and ate pizza. We went back to the house, opened presents and had cake and ice cream. The kids went outside and played noisy games with balloons. Much running and screaming abounded. Then, to top it all off - because Sara is the hostess with the mostess, we had our own wildlife show.

Yup, that's Smokey wandering through the neighborhood.

(Happily he wasn't interested in our yard.) Apparently he was being tracked though as he had a lovely collar on.

It also made me chuckle to see all the adults (the children were shewed inside - we do have some sense) standing outside, chatting and watching the bear.

He took off when some trucks drove down the street.

All in all, a wee bit surreal.

I've seen bears in Alaska before but I was generally near a salmon spawning stream or hiking somewhere; this is the first time one came to greet me at (almost) my door.

PS - Sorry about the poor picture quality; it was after 9pm and the sun was only offering low lighting. And the bear wasn't close enough for my flash to work.

6 comments:

mia said...

What were you outside running away from the bear and this is why the pictures are so blurry?? :)
I love the picture of the cyclops bear! I guess Juneau is the only one in the world with one of these...you should sell your picture to The Sun...lol.

M said...

Lol - Actually, it's because I was running after the bear! I know. Tourists with no brains. What can I say? I yam what I yam.

Yeah, I don't know what happened for the cyclops bear. I just know he had funky jewelry and I'm blaming it on that - not my poor skills!

Shelby said...

WOW!!! Too close for my liking!! Have safe travel coming home! Hopefully you won't get peed on again:) We'll see you soon...back down south in the good ol' CG!

M said...

I'm actually planning to put a pull-up on the dear girl (oh, the humiliation) to avoid any such circumstances.

I know, no sense of adventure!

Lena's Mom said...

Only Maraiya would be chasing a bear for the ultimate picture. You are crazy girl.

M said...

Chuckle, chuckle. Why thank you Miss Laura. I've always said that genius and insanity are pretty much the same thing so....