Friday, May 30, 2008

My Attempt to Be Siskel

I thought I'd pick the dead one as it seemed appropriate; I just finished watching PS I Love You. Seriously, what was I thinking? Why do I do this to myself? Hmmm...the boys are at the Father/Son campout, Lulu's sleeping, I think I'll pick out a movie....Wow, a movie about a married couple and the husband dies and then arranges to have all these letters and such to be sent to his widow post-mortem....How can that not be a hit?

The movie had moments; very sweet moments. A nice shot of Jeffrey Dean Morgan's (aka, Denny Duquette from Grey's Anatomy) naked backside (the whole thing, head to heel) wasn't bad either; Rrrrrrrr. But how could a movie get any sadder? It was like watching Love Story; they totally set you up at the beginning for water works and from some sort of sick female fascination, we watch anyway, expecting...what?! Answers to the great mysteries of love, life and death? I was hoping that she would move on past her husband and there was a hint of that in the end but in all the movie was mostly about her grief and learning to move on. So not a movie I needed to watch.

Oh, and the karaoke bit from the previews? Where she falls off the stage? Damn funny - but it even ends up sad. She actually breaks her nose and breaks/sprains her ankle and that scene took place while her hubby was still living. The karaoke number she sings (in the letter he calls her Disco Queen - yeah, right) after his death is this sad maudlin little "I'll love you till the end" number. I know, I understand why she sings it, but I would have loved a "spit in death's eye, I'm going to be happy and party damnit even if I need a shot of whiskey first" kind of moment.

I also have to say, as someone whose therapist says she has a Cinderella complex (my mom loved fairy tales and I love romance, you do the math) that this movie sets up men for even harder to meet standards. How many men are going to approach their impending death (he dies of a tumor) by planning a set future for their widow? No. one. My husband won't and yet now, when he dies, I'll be cursing him for not. Oh the humanity!!

I'm writing all of this to try and interject some humor into an overall sad and melancholy film and to stop myself from weeping. Seriously, if these water works keep up much longer, I'm going to the hospital to get hydrated.

Final critique: see this only if you want a look at Mr. Morgan's super fine backside; otherwise, invest your dollars elsewhere.

Oh, and I so had to add this photo because, seriously, (yes, I know I use that word far, far too much) he is smokin'! And a little eye candy always makes my day. :)
See? I'm smiling already.

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

OK, Part one, I loved the movie UNTIL the end, it was like Cold Mountain in this day and age, I need happy endings, Disney type stuff, I cried, laughed and got interrupted many times by the boy... But needless to say you need to tell me that girl doesn't get boy! you know how that makes me feel, but I needed a good cry and what better way to watch a movie and eat ice cream on a sad cold day with a sad cold movie.

M said...

I'm sorry. I thought I made it clear that she didn't - there's just that little hint of something between her and Billy at the end. Sorry if I mislead you - nothing worse than expecting a happy ending and getting an almost was.

I warned you though that I didn't really think the movie was all that great.

Anonymous said...

Well, hey it could be worse. After I watched this movie (which I loved btw, I can handle the sadness) I watched I Am Legend. I had no idea I was in for a miserably wonderful 4 1/2 hours. It's good to see movies like this...makes me appreciate my life so much more. :-)

M said...

Jennifer - I think we have divergent ideas on movies. I never even thought to watch I am Legend. Ok, I briefly thought about it and then, particularly after my husband watched it, decided I wouldn't. I freak out over the smallest thing. I'd rather cry than be up all night wondering what is under my bed! :)