Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Son, the Writer

Rhys has been involved in a writing class at school. I think he's become a bit consumed with the idea of writing as his 2nd grade teacher said it was an area in which he didn't excel. I wondered though, as I was typing up his story (which follows), how much of it is heavily influenced by what he reads. Lord Spar, for instance, comes from The Secrets of Droon series. I haven't read Eragon or Eldest but I have a feeling that there is a bit of both in the story.

I was pleased to see though that the hero and the heroine were ultimately saved by the heroine's magic power and not by the hero's might. Good to see that I am sneakily indoctrinating my son with "woman power." And I was pleased to see Rhys write his first story, by himself, beginning, middle and end. And yes, I'm totally bragging about my son. Sign of a good mom?

Oh, by the way, I was totally corrected by my son: the wolf knight is an actual wolf; the fox princess is an actual fox. I guess I need to work on properly channeling the mind of a 9-year-old.

No comments: