Thursday, May 1, 2008

Yesterday's Therapy (FUN STUFF!)

I went to my therapist yesterday. We discussed my current planning for grad school and a teaching license. We even found that we know someone in common - a little odd for me. I don't really want to go up to my friend and say, "Hey, I hear you know my therapist...." Incidentally, it's the same friend who likes to wield our hatchets when I answer the door. Maybe their connection is just the obvious one....

We also discussed my continuing grief for my mother and the fact that even after three years (THREE YEARS!!) I am still actively grieving her. I long to be done with this part of the process. I have come to accept that I will always be sad, for the rest of my life, that she's not here to share this with me, but I want to reach some level of happiness regarding her passing and her memory. Jo (my therapist) has helped in telling me to be mindful that I am grieving only my loss and not trying to grieve for my brothers, their wives or my father. At first I thought she had found my smoking stash, but when I told myself that I didn't need to grieve on behalf of anyone else, my whole body just sighed. Apparently, emotional members of families (me) tend to take on the emotions of other people. Yea -- good times. As if I didn't have enough baggage of my own!

I do long to talk to someone about her but I find it awkward with my father (he's remarried), my older brother (he's the most unemotional person I know) and my little brother (he shares everything with his wife and she, in turn, shares everything with others). Everyone I know down south barely knew my mother and there are no shared memories of her. Also, I'm not sure how to bring up the conversation (again with this theme). I have talked some with Mia but I'm never quite sure what to say. When I think about my mother, it's not as though certain stories come to mind; it is just this overwhelming ache in my core that I miss her. How do you share that, short of just sobbing in someone's ear? (And, yes, I have done that as well.)

Good news, though. Jo said, in response to my yet again plaintive cries, that I was working on graduate level stuff and that I was moving along in the grief process. Yea me!

My current assignment? I need to create a comforting story about where my mother is now. This creates a few dilemmas for me. One, while the LDS faith teaches about the afterlife, so much of it is vague and I'm uncertain of the realities of heaven. Second, I do picture my mother very happy in heaven. She gets to see her Savior - I imagine her touching the prints in His hands and feet and worshiping and praising Him; she gets to see her parents (her own mother died when she was just 1.5 years old); she is without pain; I imagine her weight at a more manageable level; she gets to talk - a lot - and preach the gospel; oh, yeah, and I imagine her singing. All lovely images. I am certain of her happiness. But in a way, that breaks my heart. I want her to miss me. I want her to weep over our separation as much as I have.

My father tells me that he thinks she misses me. I think that she may miss me, but I'm afraid to embrace this idea as that means there is sorrow in heaven. And then I spiral downward from there: if my mom misses me (and the rest of her friends and family), then she is full of grief and sorrow; when I die, I will miss all those I leave behind and instead of passing onto a world without grief, I will continue in sadness. Add this to my concerns about exaltation [if I become like Heavenly Father/Mother (Mormon theology) and have spirit children of my own who then need to experience their own earth life, then I will have to watch my own children become Hitler and other horrible humans - how does God not spend His days weeping over His children?] and I begin to have an image of myself sobbing throughout the eternities. I'm so sick of sorrow in this life. I'm so sick of crying. I can't stand this idea that I will be sad in the next life. So I return to happier thoughts: we will receive a fullness of joy; there will be much happiness and rejoicing in heaven. But like a vicious circle I return to, "Then does my mom miss me?" I can't reconcile the idea of being sublimely happy with experiencing loss or any kind of sadness. I think, really, this is where I stand in the grieving process: I can't reconcile my deep grief and sorrow with being able to be happy and while I find moments of happiness, there seems to be a great underlying sorrow about the loss of my mother and the fear that this sorrow will grow as I lose other people in the course of my life.

4 comments:

Shelby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelby said...

I feel honored that my first visit to your blog left me with a deep connection to you on a very sorrowful level. I read your entry and saw so many of my own thoughts, worries and hopes.
While I don't have all the answers (although at times times I would like to think I do), I would know that your mom is smiling down on you. I think of those things when I think about my Dad, he had a great smile. Maybe, possibly, she is sad that you are sad but I'm sure she is looking forward to that day when you will be together again. I don't believe in "closure" or "moving on", I just believe in dealing with what is handed to us.
If you ever need a friend to talk to or one to cry with, I know what you've been through and I would welcome the oppportunity to get to "know your mom"
Your Friend,
Shelby

mia said...

Oh sweet Mouse.....you are to never forget, but to always remember. Healing is a process it has many levels...to rush one level will cause chaos in your soul. You are healing ... maybe not as fast as you would like, but you are. I am not over the death of my son, but i have become contented, knowing my child is with God. The greatest thing i can tell you is...pray to heavenly father and give your mother to him. I know this sounds strange, but you are hanging on to her, causing yourself not to heal all the way. If you allow yourself to give her to god...then you will feel a great weight lifted.
My words to God were...please take care of my little one, he is yours now. I cried like i never cried before in my life...it was the hardest thing i ever did...i gave up my son. I started to heal from that moment i did this.
You love your mom...and she loves you. Your mother never stopped talking about your grandma..she loved her mother. She grieved for the loss of not growing up with her...she never forgot, but she "gave her mom to god." She knew her mom was ok and that she would see her again.

Mia

Lizzie said...

Ahh yes my BFF as you so kindly told me to tell you that you are beautiful and never forgotten. I picture your mom dancing around and doing the Cha Cha. She is smiling around and laughing with the wind, Every time you get a chill on a warm summer day think of it as your mom swirling around you and giving you her love. As I my self get a little lonely I lay in bed an hold myself, and think that it is my heavenly fathers arms wrapped around me because I Am a child of god as so are you!

Now that's enough mushy stuff, I have to go and clean the tears out of my ears( hey that rhymed) and lets go eat cake!!!!!!!!

xoxoxo your BFF Lizzie